Tuesday - January 15, 2008

From: Atlanta, GA
Title: Propagation by seed of Scutellaria ovata ssp. bracteata (heartleaf skullcap)
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Sean Watson

QUESTION:

Scutellaria ovata ssp. bracteata-- Hi Mr. Smarty Plants! How do I grow this from seed?! I'm trying to propagate for a native plants garden (zone 7B). Thanks for the info! Cheers!

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants asked our Nursery Manager, Sean Watson, about how Scutellaria ovata ssp. bracteata (heartleaf skullcap is propagated here at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center and this is what he said:

"We usually start this plant from seed in early Spring or Fall. Sow the seed on a sterile seed starting mix, and cover with about 1/8 inch of sterile seed starting mix. Keep moist and transplant once you see the first true set of leaves. They grow fast from seed, so fast in fact, that we no longer take cuttings to propagate this species."