Mr. Smarty Plants - Transplanting of yucca plants

Friday - May 26, 2006

From: Morgan, TX
Topic: Propagation, Transplants
Title: Transplanting of yucca plants
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

We have several Arkansas Yucca plants in our yard that we want to transplant to a plant bed. How do we do that?

ANSWER:

The yuccas should be transplanted in the fall. You can improve your chances for success in transplanting mature yucca by pre-digging them now. Pre-digging them means taking your spade and, working around the circumference of the plant, cut down to sever the ends of the roots. This will encourage the cut end attached to the plant to make new branched root ends to help the plant in its new location. When you dig the yuccas to transplant in the fall, try to get as much dirt with the roots as possible. Your very best chance of success, however, is to transplant small "pup" plants.