Sunday - March 06, 2005

From: Dallas, TX
Title: Wildflower driving tours in Texas
Answered by: Stephen Brueggerhoff and Nan Hampton

QUESTION:

I am looking for suggested wildflower driving tours in Texas. Do you perhaps have a listing of suggested driving routes one might take for a day or two in order to view the Springtime wildflowers? Any info you have would be appreciated.

ANSWER:

Seasonally, we do devote a portion of our website to wildflower sightings in the area, a service to the general public providing information about this beautiful phenomenon occurring in this region every Spring. You can view this information by browsing the Wildflower Center website and choosing the link from the "What's New" section. Another useful service that provides wildflower wayfinding routes through our region is a group called Lonestar Internet, Inc. When wildflowers begin to bloom around mid-March you can pick "Travel Services" and then "Road Conditions" on the Texas Department of Transportation web page to learn of the best wildflower sightings. You can find more routes and information at the Texas Hill Country Wildflower Trail web site. DeWitt County offers its own wildflower site as does Brenham, Texas in Washington County.