Wednesday - September 17, 2008

From: Garland, TX
Title: Plant identification, possibly chile pequin

Found in my back yard a plant about 18 inches tall. it has tiny white 5 petal flowers and small (smaller than a pea) fuits. The fruits smell just like bell pepper. My nose itched after smelling it. It is growing in a fairly shady spot, and though we are in North Texas, there has been a fair amount of rain, as of late. thank you

Mr. Smarty Plants thinks this sounds like Capsicum annuum (chile pequin or cayenne pepper).  Here are more photos.

If this isn't your plant, please send us photos and we will do our best to identify it.  Visit the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page to read the instructions for submitting photos.

Capsicum annuum

Capsicum annuum

Capsicum annuum