Mr. Smarty Plants - plant identification

Sunday - June 27, 2010

From: Louisville, KY
Title: plant identification

QUESTION:

I don't know if this plant is native, but it is a volunteer. It is a spiny , cane producing bramble . It produces tight clusters of inconspicuous fluffy reddish pink flowers about a centimeter across, groups of 7 or 9ish at the ends of branches.These are replaced by very shiny raspberry like fruit( on old wood). Last year they were bland, this year has been much hotter and they are all tangy goodness. The leaves are lobulate, heart shaped, and spined along the underside of the veins(not compound). The berries pick cleanly, and leave behind an orange stemless pith. I am very confused .

ANSWER:

Well, at this point, so is Mr. Smarty Plants.  Please send us photos and we will try to identify your plant and tell whether or not it is native.   Visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page for instructions on how to submit photos for identification.