Tuesday - September 02, 2008

From: Giddings, TX
Topic: Diseases and Disorders
Title: Keeping cows from eating the garden

I have a flowerbed area outside of our new split-rail fence available for planting, but cattle roam outside the fence also! Do you have any suggestions for plants that cows tend not to eat (unless there's a drought!), or plants that the "pruning" would help?

You are not the only one that has written us about that problem. In the interests of not retyping basically the same answer, we would like to refer you to our previous question. We should also mention that after we posted that answer, another online correspondent pointed out that lantana berries are very poisonous, and should not be in an area that children can access. The whole point is, cows will eat anything, and the only way to protect a plant you don't want to be cow fodder is to move the plant where the cow can't get it.