En EspaÑol

Wednesday - March 02, 2005

From: catspring, TX
Title: More on bluebonnets
Answered by: Joe Marcus and Nan Hampton

QUESTION:

There are several different species of bluebonnets that grow in Texas. Which one is the official state flower?

ANSWER:

In 1901 the Texas state legislature declared Lupinus subcarnosus as the official state flower.  In 1971, the legislature enacted legislation to give all of Texas native bluebonnets the state flower "seal-of-approval".   There are six species native to Texas: Lupinus subcarnosus, L. texensis, L. havardii, L. concinnus, L. plattensis, and L. perennis.  If any new native Texas Lupinus species are discovered, they will automatically receive the same state flower recognition as all the other species listed above.