Friday - November 03, 2006

From: Bagram Air Field, Other
Region: Other
Title: Introduction of possibly invasive Texas wildflowers to Afghanistan
Answered by: Damon Waitt

I'm in Afghanistan right now, and at the USO over here there's a small garden where some service members have seeds sent from home to plant. I don't see any Bluebonnets so I asked my grandparents to send some. I have a packet of Lupinus texenisis and a packet of random Texas wildflowers, any advice on how to go about my endeavor?

It is difficult to predict how well Texas wildflowers will perform in an Afghanistan climate but most Texas wildflowers are winter annuals and their seed should be sown in the early Fall (October and November in Texas). You can read more about How to Grow Bluebonnets and Wildflower Meadow Gardening in the Wildflower Center's online Clearinghouse.

Mr. Smarty Plants also cautions you to remember that what is native in one part of the world can very easily become invasive in another. Please read the PlantWise Guidelines before making your decision to introduce Texas natives to Afghanistan.