Mr. Smarty Plants - Plant identification

Saturday - August 16, 2008

From: West Orange, NJ
Title: Plant identification

QUESTION:

I walk in a wooded area. There is a plant with large spade like leaves.It grow to about 4 to 6 ft. In other areas it has grown almost tree-like with green sticky nuts or seeds. I believe it had purple flowers earlier in the summer.

ANSWER:

This sounds intriguing but Mr. Smarty Plants can't come up with an ID just from your description alone.  If you would send photos, however, we would be happy to give it our best try.  Please take a photo showing the entire plant, a closeup of a leaf, and a closeup of the seeds.  Visit the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page and read the instructions (under "Plant Identification") for submitting photos.