Monday - June 01, 2009

From: Oologah, OK
Title: Plant identification

I'm trying to identify a bush/shrub that is approx. 6 ft. with leaves like an azalea but has orange hot air balloon shaped balls that turn to small orange flowers. Blooming now in May. Dies back each year and grows to be about 15' or larger. No scent, but balls are unusual and I've only seen 2. Growing in N.E. Oklahoma and would like to find how to grow. Thank You.

Mr. Smarty Plants hasn't found any native plant with that description.  The only plant that comes to mind that somewhat fits that description is Punica granatum (pomegranate), a native of Asia.  Here are more photos.  They are often used as a landscape plant and also cultivated for their fruit.  Here is more information. If this isn't the plant you are looking for, I am afraid we are going to need photos to identify it.  Please visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page to find the instructions for submitting photos.