Tuesday - August 19, 2008

From: Nashville, TN
Topic: Invasive Plants
Title: Eradiacation of johnsongrass along roadways

What does latest research show on eradication of Johnsongrass along roadways?

It seems that the prescribed methods of controlling Sorghum halepense (Johnsongrass) still include torching and burning, plowing or digging it out, mowing and grazing and/or herbicides. The Nature Conservancy Element Stewardship Abstract for Sorghum halepense offers more detail about timing and techniques of the treatment. The National Invasive Species Information Center (NISIC) page for Johnsongrass pulls together a list of publications and links to ongoing research dealing with the problem. This includes links to various states control plans and academic research programs. You can also see titles of research papers (from 1959 to the present) relating to the eradication of Johnsongrass in Sorghum halepense Article Citation Search - AGRICOLA Database from the USDA. Johnsongrass is still a problem and is still difficult to eradicate or control. No one has come up with an easy foolproof method so far.