Thursday - August 07, 2008

From: Monroe City, MO
Title: Plant identification

I have discovered a vine growing in my boysenberry patch, perhaps spread by birds, but I can't find it in any books. It has 5 smooth leaves with burgundy, pinkish racemes, much like snap dragon flowers? It reminds me of some flower, but I can't put my finger on it. The vine has crawled all over the boysenberry bushes. Thank you

Here are some possibilities for vines native to Missouri:

Apios americana (groundnut)

Galactia volubilis (downy milkpea)

Vicia americana (American vetch)

Wisteria frutescens (American wisteria)

If it doesn't happen to be one of these, please send us photos and we will do our very best to identify it. Please visit the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page to read the instructions (under "Plant Identification") for submitting photos. Please take closeups of the flowers and of the leaves and the arrangement of the leaves on the stem.

Apios americana

Galactia volubilis

Vicia americana

Wisteria frutescens