Mr. Smarty Plants - Plant identification of tree with white blossoms in Fort Worth

Wednesday - March 17, 2010

From: Fort Worth, TX
Title: Plant identification of tree with white blossoms in Fort Worth
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

Live in Fort Worth, TX. Any idea what are trees blooming this week (3/18), with white blossoms and an oval green leaf about the size of a half dollar? The bark looks like an oak.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants thinks your tree is the non-native,  Pyrus calleryana (Callery pear).  It is a native of China and Korea and is considered an invasive species over much of the Eastern US.  There are several varieties—Pyrus calleryana 'Bradford' (Bradford pear) is one of the most popular varieties, but 'Aristocrat' is gaining in popularity.