Mr. Smarty Plants - How to have Mimosa and Yucca identified.

Wednesday - July 30, 2008

From: Baton Rouge, LA
Title: How to have Mimosa and Yucca identified.

QUESTION:

Hello, I have recently come across what I believe to be Mimosa microphylla in a very southwest corner of Mississippi. The only thing different about this patch is its brilliant white blooms! I can not find a single picture online of any species of 'sensitive plant' that has a white bloom. Also closer to your neck of the woods out in Llano, TX I have found two variegated Yucca constrictas in a field of non-mutants. My question is how do I go about getting these plants identified & getting a well suited latin name to them? Thanks for your help.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants will be happy to help you with your plant identification.  Here are modified instructions for submitting digital images of plants for ID from the Mr. Smarty Plants homepage:

1. Tell us where and when you found the plant and describe the site where it occurred.

2. Take several images including details of leaves, stems, flowers, fruit, and the overall plant.

3. Save images in JPEG format, at as high a resolution as possible, but still under 10MB total size of the attached images.  Attachements exceeding 10MB will be stopped by our security system.

4. Send email with images attached to id@smartyplants.org. Put Plant Identification Request in the subject line of your email.