Mr. Smarty Plants - Identity of red flower that looks like a blue bell

Friday - May 31, 2013

From: Hardinsburg , KY
Title: Identity of red flower that looks like a blue bell

QUESTION:

Looking for the name of a flower that grows in Breckinridge county Kentucky. It's looks similar to the blue bell but blood red in color. Any help is appreciated.

ANSWER:

Here are a couple of possibilities for a native plant that matches your description: 

Clematis viorna (Vasevine)   According to the USDA Plants Database distribution map for Kentucky, it occurs in Breckenridge County.

Lilium canadense (Canada lily)   The USDA Plants Database distribution map doesn't show it occurring in Breckenridge county but it shows it occurring in Nelson and Edmonson Counties, a couple of counties away.

If neither of these plants is the one you have seen, you can do your own search in our Native Plant Database using the COMBINATION SEARCH and choosing "Kentucky" from the Select State or Province area and "Red" for Bloom Color under Bloom Characteristics.

If neither of the plants above is your flower or you didn't find it doing the COMBINATION SEARCH, it is likely that your flower is not a native plant.  If you have a photograph of it, you can visit our Plant Identification page to find links to several plant identification forums that will accept photos of plants to identify.

Vasevine
Clematis viorna

Canada lily
Lilium canadense