Saturday - June 21, 2008

From: Camarillo, CA
Title: California native vine

Hello, I am looking for a california native vine that can "cover" a wrought iron fence. I would like a vine that does not require too much care and can handle a fair amount of sun exposure.

You can find a list of vines for your area by doing a Combination Search in our Native Plant Database and choosing 'California' from the Select State or Province option and 'Vine' under Habit (general appearance). There are also other characteristics you can choose to limit your search results. Here are a few vines from the list that should work for your fence:

Lonicera ciliosa (orange honeysuckle) sun, part shade (2 to 6 hours sun/day), shade (<2 hours sun/day)

Lonicera hispidula (pink honeysuckle) sun, part shade, shade

Clematis ligusticifolia (western white clematis) sun, part shade, shade

Clematis lasiantha (pipestem clematis) part shade

Lathyrus splendens (pride of California) part shade

Maurandella antirrhiniflora (roving sailor) part shade

Vitis girdiana (desert wild grape) sun

Lonicera ciliosa

Lonicera hispidula

Clematis ligusticifolia

Clematis lasiantha

Lathyrus splendens

Maurandella antirrhiniflora

Vitis girdiana