Mr. Smarty Plants - Eliminating evasive <i>Celastrus orbiculatus</i> (Oriental bittersweet)

Sunday - July 21, 2013

From: Laconia, NH
Topic: Invasive Plants, Problem Plants, Vines
Title: Eliminating evasive Celastrus orbiculatus (Oriental bittersweet)

QUESTION:

I have Oriental Bittersweet growing pervasively in my shrub garden, strangling my shrubs and growing into my beautiful Victorian porch. I can't keep up with it! What can I do?

ANSWER:

Yes, Celastrus orbiculatus (Oriental bittersweet) is a seriously invasive vine.  The Plant Conservation Alliance's Alien Plant Working Group has placed it on their Least Wanted list with several methods for managing it—manual, mechanical and chemical.   Please read about the control methods they recommend on their webpage.  The National Park Service also has recommended methods for controlling this and other invasive vines.   I imagine you will need to use all of the methods to completely get rid of the pest!

When using herbicides, please read thoroughly the label on the chemical and carefully follow the instructions to protect yourself and the environment.