Friday - January 07, 2005

From: Santa Fe, NM
Title: Smarty Plants on Isocoma pluriflora

I would like to know when isocoma pluriflora (rayless goldenrod) blooms in the Santa Fe, N.M. area. I'd also like to know its height. Other info will also be appreciated.

Isocoma pluriflora (formerly Isocoma wrightii), rayless goldenrod or jimmyweed, blooms from June to October and grows from 1-3 feet high. According to Charles R. Hurt et al. (Toxic Plants of Texas: Integrated Management Strategies to Prevent Livestock Losses. 2003. Texas Cooperative Extension. Texas A & M University) the rayless goldenrod is toxic to livestock and can cause death if the animal consumes the equivalent of 1 to 1.5 percent of its body weight over a 2 to 3 week period.

You can see pictures and read a description in the Native Plants Database on the Wildflower Center web page. Another account can be found on Texas A & M Horticulture web page and another in the USDA Plants Database.

Isocoma pluriflora