Monday - April 04, 2005

From: Wisconsin Dells, WI
Title: Possibility of survival of Genus Castilleja in Wisconsin

In traveling through Texas last week we noticed many many little orange flowers which are absolutely fascinating. I found a picture of that flower in your website for Wildflower Days 2005 in the top right picture (I believe mixed in with Bluebonnets). Could you please identify that flower for us and advise if it could survive in Wisconsin.

The flower is the Texas paintbrush (Castilleja indivisa) and it is not likely to survive in Wisconsin. However, there are two members of the Genus Castilleja that look very similar to the Texas paintbrush that are native to Wisconsin. These are: Scarlet Indian paintbrush (C. coccinea) and Downy paintbrush (C. sessiliflora).

By searching in the National Suppliers Directory on the Wildflower Center web page you might be able to find nurseries or seed companies in Wisconsin or the Midwest that carry seeds or plants of these paintbrushes.