Thursday - December 09, 2004

Title: Source for Salvia greggii, Teresa
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

My mother is trying to find a specific type of salvia that is pink and white striped. I haven't been able to find any information on it. Does it exist and if so, where can I find it.

ANSWER:

Your mother is probably looking for Salvia greggii 'Teresa'. The Wildflower Center is the exclusive distributor for this cultivar. We introduced it at our fall plant sale in 2004. You can find out about it on the Wildflower Center website. We have gotten many inquiries about 'Teresa'. It will be available again at our spring 2005 plant sale and eventually other nurseries will offer it from stock we propagate.

Another possibility is Salvia coccinea, scarlet sage or tropical sage, which generally is a bright scarlet color, but there are cultivars that are pink, white, or bicolored (pink and white). You can see images of the scarlet, the white. and the pink and white Salvia coccinea in the Wildflower Center Image Gallery. You can also read about it in the Native Plants Database and you can read about it and see a distribution map in the USDA Plants Database.