Tuesday - May 13, 2008

From: Ithaca, NY
Title: Small tree to plant with high bush blueberry plants

QUESTION:

Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, I have four wonderful new highbush blueberry plants. I like to plant a native tree nearby to accent them, but cannot find a suitable one. I'd like a tree that is not going to be gigantic, and preferably an evergreen but am open to other possibilities. Do you have suggestions?

ANSWER:

Congratulations on your Vaccinium corymbosum (highbush blueberry) bushes! You can find a list of trees native to New York by visiting our Native Plant Database and using the Combination Search feature. If you choose New York from the "Select State or Province" category and "Tree" from the "Habit (general appearance)" category, you will find a list of 180 trees from which to choose. I've picked out a few from the list that are moderate in height (most below 60 feet) for your consideration, but there are many more for you to consider.

EVERGREEN

Most of the evergreen trees are taller than 60 feet, but here are a few of the smaller ones:

Chamaecyparis thyoides (Atlantic white cedar) 40-75 feet

Ilex opaca (American holly) 25-60 feet

Juniperus virginiana (eastern redcedar) 30-40 feet

Thuja occidentalis (arborvitae) 40-60 feet and photos and more information

DECIDUOUS

Acer pensylvanicum (striped maple) 20-40 feet and more photos and information

Acer spicatum (mountain maple) 20-35 feet and more photos and information

Here a link comparing features of maples (Acer spp.)

Cladrastis kentukea (Kentucky yellowwood) 30-50 feet

Nyssa sylvatica (blackgum) 30-60 feet

Populus tremuloides (quaking aspen) 35-50 feet

Sassafras albidum (sassafras) 35-50 feet

DECIDUOUS (WITH SHOWY FLOWERS)

Catalpa bignonioides (southern catalpa) 25-40 feet

Cercis canadensis (eastern redbud) 15-30 feet

Cornus florida (flowering dogwood) 20-40 feet

Magnolia tripetala (umbrella-tree) 15-45 feet and more photos and information