Mr. Smarty Plants - Small to medium specimen native tree for Texas Hill Country

Friday - August 20, 2004

From: Fredericksburg, TX
Title: Small to medium specimen native tree for Texas Hill Country
Answered by: Stephen Brueggerhoff

QUESTION:

Can you recommend a small to med. 'specimen' tree to plant near our patio? Full sun, drought tolerant, interesting during different seasons. Thought about Blanco Crabapple, Rusty Blackhaw, Smoke Tree & Canyon Mock Orange. We have unimproved soil, located in the Texas Hill Country.

ANSWER:

The trees that you have suggested are certainly good choices for your location. I can also recommend: Desert Willow, Chilopsis linearis (desert willow), Orchid Tree,Bauhinia lunarioides (Texasplume) and Golden-ball Lead Tree Leucaena retusa (littleleaf leadtree) I recommend browsing to our Hill Country Horticulture webpage, a service provided by our Native Plant Information Network, that enables a robust search by habit and plant requirements that will help you target the right plant for your needs in your eco-type.