Mr. Smarty Plants - Identification of red and black insects on Yucca

Saturday - May 10, 2008

From: Krum, TX
Topic: Pests
Title: Identification of red and black insects on Yucca

QUESTION:

I have little red and black insects on my soft leaf yucca and I don't know what they are or how to get rid of them. They make the leaves rusty looking. Do you have any idea what they are or how I can get rid of them (preferably in an organic way).

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants thinks the bugs on your Yucca arkansana (softleaf or Arkansas yucca) are probably Halticotoma valida (yucca plant bug). Ohio State University in their Plant Bugs on Perennials and Landscape Shrubs has suggestions for various ways to control these pests, including eco-friendly ways. The Connecticut Agricultural Experiement Station also has a list of insects (including H. valida) which affect Yucca spp. and means to control them, but their control methods are heavy on chemicals.

Arkansas yucca
Yucca arkansana