Monday - April 21, 2008

From: Conesus, NY
Title: Identification of plant with purple leaves and yellow flowers

QUESTION:

I'd like to know the name of a plant that has purplish leaves and sends roots out underground to make new plants. It can be invasive. It has yellow flowers. Leaves are oval in shape. Almost looks like the family of Penstemon, but not.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants loves to identify plants, but it is very difficult to do by description alone.  If you will send us a photo, however, we will do our very best to identify your mystery plant.  Please visit the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page to find the instructions for submitting photos under "Plant Identification" in the lower right corner.