Mr. Smarty Plants - Planting bluebonnets near pond area

Saturday - April 26, 2008

From: Irving, TX
Title: Planting bluebonnets near pond area

QUESTION:

We want to scatter bluebonnet seeds on the banks of a pond area in a housing addition. Do we have to do anything special? How do they do it along highways?

ANSWER:

Please visit our "How to Articles" page where you will find all your answers about growing bluebonnets in three articles: How to Grow Bluebonnets, How to Grow Bluebonnets: Rhizobium FAQs, and How to Grow Bluebonnets: Scarification FAQs. There are other articles on the same page that might also be useful to your project (e.g., Meadow Gardening and Roadside Planting).

Many bluebonnet seeds are maturing now and will start dropping to produce next year's plants; but, as you will see from the articles, the best time for you to sow your bluebonnet seeds is in the fall, ideally in early October. Please realize that it will take a couple of years for the bluebonnets to become well-established—so be patient and you will soon have a beautiful blue patch each spring.

Lupinus texensis

Lupinus texensis

Lupinus texensis

Lupinus texensis