Wednesday - February 27, 2008

From: Leominster, MA
Title: Source of seeds for helianthus salicifolius (Willowleaf sunflower)

Where can I purchase seeds for helianthus salicifolius?

Helianthus salicifolius (willowleaf sunflower) is native to North America, and is distributed naturally in the Midwest from Wisconsin to Texas. It blooms in summer to late fall. According to the USDA Plant Profile on this plant, it also appears in New York State, so it would seem possible you could grow it in Massachusetts, if that was your intent.

First, try going to our Native Plant Suppliers site. There, you can search for companies providing seed by checking the box for seed, or rather, unchecking the other three. This will give you 218 possibilities in the United States. You can refine it by putting in your state and searching on that. We got the names of four companies in Massachusetts that distribute seed, but none of them had websites; however, they have addresses and phone numbers and you might try calling them. Also from that webpage, you can access a list of Associates with the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center who sell seeds.

Digging a little deeper, we found a site for Easyliving Native Perennial Wildflowers which sells seed for Helianthus salicifolius (willowleaf sunflower), but says they are currently out of stock. You might check with them and see when they will be restocking. The New England Wildflower Society offers a catalog of seeds that might include the ones you are looking for. We can see why you are asking for help in finding these seeds. Sometimes difficulty in finding seed may mean the plant is considered an invasive; however, we could find no indication that this is the case with the Willowleaf sunflower. Hopefully, one of the leads we were able to find will give you a source, good luck.

Willowleaf sunflower
Helianthus salicifolius