Monday - February 04, 2008

From: Ocala, FL
Topic: Groundcovers
Title: Native ground cover to replace grass in Florida.

QUESTION:

Where can I find a list of ground covers to replace my grass. I live in the south of Ocala Florida.

ANSWER:

The Native Plant Society of Florida has lists of native plants to use for landscaping in Florida. You can search by county and I believe you are in Marion County.

Here are a few recommendations from their list for groundcovers that do well in Marion County, Florida:

Dyschoriste oblongifolia (oblongleaf snakeherb)

Licania michauxii (gopher apple)

Mimosa strigillosa (powderpuff)

Mitchella repens (partridgeberry)

Phyla nodiflora (turkey tangle frogfruit)

Sisyrinchium angustifolium (narrowleaf blue-eyed grass)

Zamia pumila (coontie)

You can also see a list of Florida Recommended native plants on our web site. Here are several recommendations from this list that would serve well as groundcovers:

Ceratiola ericoides (sand heath)

Chamaecrista nictitans ssp. nictitans (sensitive partridge pea)

Gaylussacia dumosa (dwarf huckleberry)

Also, you might consider one of the sedges, such as:

Carex blanda (eastern woodland sedge)

Carex cherokeensis (Cherokee sedge)