En EspaÑol

Friday - October 31, 2008

Topic: Groundcovers
Title: Locating free tumbled glass for mulch in Austin

QUESTION:

Do you know where tumbled glass can be obtained for free in Austin? You've used it as a mulch at the Center. Someone in one of my Native U classes mentioned that it can be gotten free somewhere in Austin.

ANSWER:

In this article Zanthan Gardens: From Garbage to Garden we were directed by a link to the Texas Commission for Environmental Quality, but that webpage seems to have been changed. However, we did get the main switchboard number, 512-239-1000, and perhaps they can give you more information. By asking around at the Wildflower Center, we found out they had been receiving tumbled glass mulch from Texas Disposal Systems which includes an operation called "Eco Depot". However, our informant at the Wildflower Center told us that the last shipment of the tumbled glass was very disappointing, full of sand and plastic bits and pieces. Another article "Vert" added some more information about the quality of the material. We suggest you make some calls and find out how to make an appointment to pick up materials.