Tuesday - October 26, 2010

From: Red Bank, TN
Topic: Soils, Groundcovers, Shade Tolerant, Herbs/Forbs
Title: What habitat would my Antennaria solitaria like in Red Bank, TN?

I want to know what habitat my mystery plant will like- sun, shade, dry or moist. I think it is an Antennaria solitaria or Little Pussytoes. I got it at a native plant sale here in Chattanooga. It has been in a big flower pot for two-three years. I want to put it in the garden. I have a lot of shade in my yard and thick red clay.

If your mystery plant is indeed  Antennaria solitaria (Singlehead pussytoes), then a shady to partly shady spot in your garden will be fine. It is described a being a ground cover, so getting it out of a pot should make it thrive. It grows in dry, well drained soil, so your clay will need some modification. These forums from Gardenweb.com and Finegardening.com can give you some ideas about how to do that.

These links to Sunlight Gardens and Vanderbilt University can provide more information about the plant, and images.