Thursday - November 22, 2007

From: San Antonio, TX
Title: Chisos Rosewood Propagation
Answered by: Damon Waitt

QUESTION:

Can you tell me how to propagate seed for the Chisos Rosewood Tree?

ANSWER:

Vauquelinia corymbosa ssp. angustifolia (slimleaf rosewood) is easy to grow from seed according to Jill Nokes in her book How to Grow Native Plants of Texas and the Southwest. Gather capsules from September to November as they turn a brownish yellow color. Seeds can be stored in the capsules or the capsules crushed and the seed separated and stored in the refrigerator. Fresh seeds collected in the Fall will germinate without any treatment. Sow seeds in a greenhoiuse or cold frame and keep protected over winter.