En EspaÑol

Mr. Smarty Plants - Trimming of Pineapple Sage and Salvia Greggii

Sunday - October 07, 2007

Topic: Pruning, Herbs/Forbs, Shrubs
Title: Trimming of Pineapple Sage and Salvia Greggii

QUESTION:

I live in Central Austin. My question is: When is the best time to trim back Pineapple Sage and Salvia Gregii? How far back should these plants be trimmed?

ANSWER:

Salvia greggii (autumn sage) is a plant native to North America, growing well in Texas and attracting hummingbirds and other flying pollinators. After the spring bloom, trim off 1/3 of the top and do so again in late summer. As weird a summer as we've had around here, we think you can count early October as late summer, and proceed as directed.

Salvia elegans (pineapple sage) is native to Mexico and Guatemala, so named because of the delicious scent of pineapple it gives off when the leaves are crushed. It is a semi-woody subshrub in USDA Zones 9-11, but here in Central Texas, it is considered an herbaceous perennial. That is, in Zones 8-9, Pineapple sage will die to the ground but resprout in spring. Cut back in late fall, and mulch for added winter protection.

Salvia greggii