Mr. Smarty Plants - Best time of year to trim oak trees from Beloit WI

Friday - July 23, 2010

From: Beloit, WI
Topic: Pruning, Trees
Title: Best time of year to trim oak trees from Beloit WI

QUESTION:

What is the best time of year to trim oak trees?

ANSWER:

In Central Texas, where the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is located, our question is more when NOT to trim oak trees, because of that scourge of red oaks and live oaks, Oak Wilt. We found this site on Oak Wilt in Wisconsin, which includes a map of the counties in Wisconsin that have been affected.In Wisconsin, you should not prune oak trees in April, May, June and July. Nothing should be pruned in the heat of summer, so we would recommend you do your trimming in October or November, when the trees are semi-dormant, but before heavy snowfall impedes your activity.