Thursday - August 26, 2004

From: McKinney, TX
Title: Smarty Plants on Bluebells
Answered by: Stephen Brueggerhoff

QUESTION:

Do you have Bluebells growing at the Wildflower center and if so how much longer will they be blooming ?

ANSWER:

We have propagated bluebells (Eustoma exaltatum) out in our gardens; these lovely bell-shaped flowers in hues of purple to blue bloom from June through September. There are two subspecies: E. exaltatum ssp. exaltatum (found in southern states, from Florida to California), & E. exaltatum ssp. russellianum (found from Texas through to the Rockies range of Montana). You can view profiles and images for each of these subspecies on-line from our Native Plants Database.