Friday - July 06, 2007

From: Savanna, GA
Title: Native cherry trees for Georgia

Is it possible to grow any type of cherry in Georgia, USA?

There are four trees native to Georgia that are technically cherries:

Prunus pensylvanica (pin cherry), Prunus serotina (black cherry), Prunus virginiana (chokecherry) and

Prunus caroliniana (Carolina laurelcherry).

All of these have fruits that are attractive to birds and other wildlife. The first three also have fruit that is edible by humans, although it is best when used to make jelly and wine. When eating the berries, care should be taken not to eat the seeds. The seeds, stems and leaves for all species are toxic: P. pensylvanica, P. serotina, P. virginiana, P. caroliniana

Prunus serotina

Prunus virginiana

Prunus caroliniana