Saturday - June 23, 2007

Topic: Deer Resistant
Title: Keeping deer and rabbits out of plants

Are there plants that are both deer- and rabbit-resistant? Something is eating the plants that the deer seem to leave alone--snipping off the flowers at the top of the stems (ie, zinnias and plumbago)--and I suspect rabbits... Do rabbits tend to avoid the same types of plants? Thanks.

Don't be too sure it isn't the deer. Deer often eat things that they aren't supposed to like; but, there are many plants that both deer and rabbits love to eat. You can see a list of Deer and Rabbit Resistant Plants from the Cooperative Extension, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, The University of Arizona. The town of Parker, Colorado also has a list of Deer & Rabbit Resistant Plants; Gardenseeker.com offers a list of Rabbit Resistant Trees & Shrubs & Plants; and from Mountain States Wholesale Nursery there is a list of Rabbit-Resistant Plants.

Your best bet for protecting your plants, however, is to keep the rabbits and deer out of your garden. Rabbits require only a short fence (~2 feet high) but it needs to be buried in the soil 4-6 inches. Deer, on the other hand, require a fence that is at least 4-6 feet high.