En Espa—ol

Sunday - April 24, 2011

Topic: Deer Resistant
Title: Evergreen, deer resistant native plants for Austin

QUESTION:

Are there any evergreen, deer resistant native plants that thrive in Austin?

ANSWER:

We have a deer-resistant species list, with 344 species of plants native to North America. If you use the sidebar on the right hand side of that page and indicate "Texas" on the dropdown State menu, you will get 336 plants native to Texas and considered somewhat deer resistant. Be sure and read the disclaimer at the top of the first page-we don't do guarantees. Select on General Appearance for "tree" or "shrub" or whatever else you are looking for, and then follow the plant links on the resulting list to see if that plant is the kind you are looking for, how deer-resistant it is, and whether it will grow well in Central Texas.