Wednesday - September 26, 2012

From: Round Rock, TX
Topic: Deer Resistant, Erosion Control, Groundcovers
Title: Deer-resistant groundcovers for erosion control

I need a ground cover (vine??) that will help me with erosion on a sloped front yard. It gets about 6-8 hours of sun and my main need is for something that the rats in our neighborhood will not destroy. By rats in mean the hundreds of deer.. Thanks

Here are some recommendations for a deer resistant groundcover that will help prevent erosion in Round Rock TX:

Bouteloua dactyloides (Buffalograss).  I recommend that you read our "How to Articles"—Native Lawns:  Buffalograss and Native Lawns: Habiturf™ – The Ecological Lawn.

Bouteloua rigidiseta (Texas grama)

Carex blanda (Eastern woodland sedge)

Carex texensis (Texas sedge)

Parthenocissus quinquefolia (Virginia creeper)

Ipomoea cordatotriloba var. cordatotriloba (Tievine)

Phyla nodiflora (Texas frogfruit)

Glandularia bipinnatifida (Purple prairie verbena)

Melampodium leucanthum (Blackfoot daisy)

Oenothera speciosa (Pink evening primrose)

Salvia lyrata (Lyreleaf sage)

Bouteloua dactyloides

Texas grama
Bouteloua rigidiseta

Eastern woodland sedge
Carex blanda

Texas sedge
Carex texensis

Virginia creeper
Parthenocissus quinquefolia

Ipomoea cordatotriloba var. cordatotriloba

Texas frogfruit
Phyla nodiflora

Purple prairie verbena
Glandularia bipinnatifida

Blackfoot daisy
Melampodium leucanthum

Pink evening primrose
Oenothera speciosa

Lyreleaf sage
Salvia lyrata