Thursday - June 14, 2007

From: carrollton, TX
Title: Identificaation of different cultivars ofPrunus caroliniana

QUESTION:

How can you tell if you have a Carolina Cherry laurel or Carolina cherry laurel "compacta," or a Cherry Laurel-English? I have a line of four cherry laurels and one in the middle recently died and I need to replace it. When I began the search I found these three varieties.

ANSWER:

Prunus caroliniana (Carolina laurelcherry) and Prunus laurocerasus (English laurel) are very similar in appearance. The leaves of P. caroliniana are typically a little smaller (2"-3") than those of P. laurocerasus (2"-6"). The leaves of "dwarf" cultivars of cherry laurels will be even smaller. Your best bet for matching your replacement plant is to take a branch of an existing plant with you to a local nursery that offers both species and compare them there.