Mr. Smarty Plants - Bugs eating new growth on Mountain Laurel shrubs from Dripping Springs TX

Tuesday - April 02, 2013

From: Dripping Springs, TX
Topic: Pests, Shrubs, Trees
Title: Bugs eating new growth on Mountain Laurel shrubs from Dripping Springs TX

QUESTION:

What is eating the new growth on my mountain laurel shrubs? One plant has red bugs and the other has black (could they be love bugs?). Is there something I can do to preserve the new growth?

ANSWER:

One bug (called a "midrid") is the Red Mountain Laurel bug or Lopidea major. The link takes you to a Bug Guide page with pictures of this beastie.

Here is a previous Mr. Smarty Plants answer on that subject; follow whatever links are in that answer.

The only other major pest on Sophora secundiflora (Texas mountain laurel) that we could find is the Genista caterpillar. That link goes to the Texas A&M AgriLIFE Extension IPM on Genista Caterpillar on Texas Mountain Laurel.