Wednesday - June 13, 2007

From: Canyon Lake, TX
Title: Nativity of Myrospermum sousanum

I bought a Myrospermum sousanum (Arroyo Sweetwood) at the Antique Rose Emporium in San Antonio. I see where it is listed as a Texas native on several web sites, but I could not find a reference on the Wildflower Site. Do you have any information on this plant? I live on the north side of Canyon Lake, about 30 minutes north of San Antonio.

Renowned Texas plantsman, the late Lynn Lowrey, discovered and collected Myospermum sousanum in Mexico and introduced it into American horticulture. It is native in Mexico, but not known to be native to Texas or anywhere else in the US. It is a member of the family Fabaceae, the legumes.