Canyon Lake, TX
Nativity of Myrospermum sousanum
I bought a Myrospermum sousanum (Arroyo Sweetwood) at the Antique Rose Emporium in San Antonio. I see where it is listed as a Texas native on several web sites, but I could not find a reference on the...

Canyon Lake, TX
Fast growing shade tree for Canyon Lake, TX
What is the best, fastest growing shade tree to plant in a residential yard about 1/2 block from the Guadelupe River in Sattler, Texas?

Canyon Lake, TX
Sudden death of one side of Mountain Laurel from Canyon Lake TX
Hello! We live in Canyon Lake TX and have a Mountain Laurel that is in distress. It is planted in an irrigated flower bed and has been happily growing for 5 years. It is about 5' tall and has sever...

Canyon Lake, TX
Mealy blue sage drooping from Canyon Lake TX
Mealy Blue Sage @ 4 ft Tall - Planted three Mealy Blue Sage last year and they topped out at 2 ft tall. This year they are 4 ft tall in early May, and many of the stems are growing near horizontal...

Canyon Lake, TX
Possibility of growing oak-leaf hydrangea in Comal County, TX
In the last issue of the magazine, there was an item about the oak leaf hydrangea which stated the plant's habitat is east of the Mississippi River. Can it be grown in Comal County? Any special nee...

Canyon Lake, TX
BEST plants for keeping water clean
We're in the process of building a small swimming pool that will utilize Texas native bog and marginal plants to clean the water for the pool. Do you know of some good resources (i.e. online, books, b...

Canyon Lake, TX
Seed collection from rain lilies
Hello, I have some rain lilies growing in our yard. I've collected some seed heads, but am not sure what steps to take now. They were all off of broken stems (the dogs are not as cautious as I am...

Canyon Lake, TX
Privacy screen for Canyon Lake, TX
I need some help. I live near the Guadalupe River in Canyon Lake, TX and my backyard faces a busy street. I need a fast growing thick shrub for my backyard for privacy since I cannot afford a fence at...

Canyon Lake, TX
Transplanting birdwing passionflower in Canyon, TX
First, thank you for all your help! Second, I have two bird-wing passionflowers that are growing next to the house. I'd like to move them because this is the area where I want to put in some raise...

Canyon lake, TX
Butterfly/hummingbird garden plants for Hill Country, TX
What drought resistant plants would you recommend for a Hill Country butterfly/hummingbird garden that receives at least a half day of sun? It has afternoon exposure.

Sattler, TX
Starting desert willow from seeds
Is it better to sow or start desert willow seeds in pots? If sowing is effective, is fall or spring the best time to sow in the Canyon Lake area of Central Texas?

Fischer , TX
Texas Madrone as endangered plant?
Is the Texas Madrone on the endangered list?

Spring Branch, TX
Planting instructions for horsetail
Re: Equisetum hyemale L. Canuela, Horsetail, Scouring rush, Scouringrush horsetail I bought a 1-gal Equisetum hyemale for my seep/pond. In searching the web, I find conflicting planting instructions...

Spring Branch, TX
Sun-scorched Cherry laurel (Prunus caroliniana)
I live in south Central Texas 30 miles north of San Antonio. I am looking for a good evergreen hedge plant that once established will not die if I forget to water it a few days and is deer resistant....

Spring Branch, TX
Identification of red-topped grass blooming in Comal County
I live in Comal County and right now (mid May) there is a beautiful, red topped grass growing along the side of country roads. It is maybe 1 foot tall, and waves in the breeze. Do you know what kind o...

Spring Branch, TX
Timing for mowing wildflower meadow
Last spring (2012) we planted a wildflower/shortgrass meadow on a caliche slope surrounding the back of our house. We terraced with rocks and spread some topsoil thinly before sowing the seed. It di...

Spring Branch, TX
Viability of Desert Willow and Hong Kong Orchid Tree in Spring Branch, TX
We live in Spring Branch, Rt 281 north of San Antonio. We want to plant a Regal Desert Willow tree and a Hong Kong Orchid tree. Will the cold / freeze be a problem? Where locally can we purchase th...

Spring Branch, TX
Herbicide use in bluebonnet field in Blanco, TX
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, I have the best of both worlds and the worst of both worlds. Iíve been throwing bluebonnet seeds for 6 years on our property near Blanco, and when it rains, as it has this year...

Spring Branch, TX
Lesions on Agave Leaves in Spring Branch, Texas
I have a giant Agave americana that was beautiful until recently. Several of the leaves have lesions, some of them quite drastic, on the last third of the leaf. What is causing this?

Spring Branch, TX
Problems with non-native bi-color iris from Spring Branch TX
Bi colored iris. I have four plants planted around our water feature last fall. Up until recently they all looked very healthy, yet not blooming. Several weeks ago I noticed that two of the plants ...

Spring Branch, TX
Smarty Plants on mulch and organic material
I live near Canyon Lake, just north of San Antonio in a new subdivision. I call on you for advice, as I have attended several classes there and hope you can help. Several areas on our property and nei...