Thursday - December 04, 2003

From: San Saba County, TX
Topic: Watering, Trees
Title: Daily water absorption of live oak from soil
Answered by: Stephen Brueggerhoff

How much water does the live oak absorb from the soil per day?

I performed a search through Google, and the only item that I could come up with is an article reporting research on water consumption in the production of ornamental trees. This research was committed through the Louisiana State University Horticulture department, and I suggest getting in contact with the person listed at the website (Sam Rollason; e-mail: mailto:srollarson@agcenter.lsu.edu). They should be able to direct you to additional research being done in this area. Keep in mind that there are oftentimes too many variables in field research to provide conclusive results; a more controlled environment, such as provided on this study of southern magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora) & live oak (Quercus virginiana) in a nursery setting, can provide more conclusive determinations.

Coastal live oak
Quercus virginiana