Sunday - June 08, 2014

From: Austin, , TX
Topic: Propagation, Herbs/Forbs, Wildflowers
Title: Purchase of Galphimia angustifolia from Austin

QUESTION:

I have a Thryallis, Galphimia augustifolia, or Thryallis autustifolia, growing from a limestone ledge in my yard in west Austin TX. I have tried unsuccessfully to buy this native. Do you sell it at the Wildflower Center Sale? How would I propagate this plant? Thank you in advance for the information. It is a delicate native flower that needs to be increased.

ANSWER:

According to this USDA Plant Profile Map, Galphimia angustifolia (Narrow-leaf goldshower)   grows natively no nearer Austin than Bexar County and five other counties in southwest Texas. Obviously, it can grow in Austin, since it is doing so, but it might have to struggle out of its native soils and climate.

Our Native Plant Database was not very informative on this plant, but we found this propagation information from Dave's Garden:

"Propagation Methods:
From seed; direct sow outdoors in fall
From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse
From seed; stratify if sowing indoors
From seed; direct sow after last frost

Seed Collecting:
Allow pods to dry on plant; break open to collect seeds"

If you follow this link, Galphimia angustifolia (Narrow-leaf goldshower), to our webpage you will also find these growing conditions:

"Growing Conditions

Light Requirement: Part Shade
Soil Moisture: Dry , Moist
Conditions Comments: Small plant producing racemes of yellow flowers."

Concerning your question on whether we sell this plant at our Plant Sales, it was not on the list for our most recent sale, April 11 to13; the next sale will be in October and the list will not be ready for that until closer to the sale dates. Since it appears this is mostly propagated by seed, we do not ordinarily sell seeds at the Plant Sales, but Native American Seeds always has a tent at our Sales with native Texas plant seeds for sale. The above link will take you to their online catalog, but we searched for Galphimia angustifolia (Narrow-leaf goldshower) and they did not have it listed.

We would suggest that you attempt to gather seeds from your own garden in an attempt to make it more widely available. The plant is a perennial and it is always possible that it could be propagated via division or cuttings, but could find no information on that.

Narrow-leaf goldshower
Galphimia angustifolia

Narrow-leaf goldshower
Galphimia angustifolia

Narrow-leaf goldshower
Galphimia angustifolia