Thursday - April 24, 2014

From: Honolulu, HI
Region: Other
Topic: Non-Natives, Plant Identification
Title: Plant Identification from Honolulu HI

We have a ground cover in our Honolulu garden that I have been told is Watermelon Plant. (Not the fruit). We would like more, but cannot find it or the proper name for it. Aprox. 6" round leaf. It does not spread. Can you tell me the proper name and where I might buy more? How can I send a picture?

While Hawaii is a state in the United States, it is not a garden in North America. It's really too bad, because you must have many truly lovely plants. The Lady Bird Johnson is committed to the growth, protection and propagation of plants native not only to North America, but to the area in which the plant is being grown. We get so many, many questions from the designated native areas, our small band of volunteers simply has to limit what we can do. The same story with photographs, we are no longer set up to accept them. Please see our Plant Identification page for alternative suggestions.