Friday - October 19, 2012

From: Coral Gables, FL
Title: Information about Melochia tomentosa

QUESTION:

Hi, We have a plant in our garden that was received as Melochia tomentosa. It is a woody shrub, about 6' tall and 8' wide. According to the Institute for Regional Conservation, this species is not in cultivation. We received our plant from a nursery. I've looked at photos of this species on your site. Can you tell me if this actually grows as a woody shrub? I could not tell by the photos. Thanks!

ANSWER:

The information in our Native Plant Database lists Melochia tomentosa (Teabush) as a shrub or subshrub which indicates it is woody.  The USDA Plants Database shows it as being native and occurring in Texas and Florida and native in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.  This article from the US Forest Service says that the shrub grows to a height of 4 meters (appx. 13 feet).  Here is more information about the plants from the Palm Beach State College Landscape Plants for Southern Florida.

Pyramid bush
Melochia tomentosa

Pyramid bush
Melochia tomentosa