Suppport the plant database you love!

Thursday - May 31, 2012

From: Manor, TX
Topic: Planting, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Putting in native grass in June in Manor TX

QUESTION:

We are moving into a new-built house in the middle of June. We opted to not have them put in Bermuda grass as we wanted to seed a native mix. From my understanding, mid June will be too late to start a lawn from seed. What are our options for ground cover until the fall when we can plant rye grass? I don't want to be stuck with an all dirt backyard for a long period of time. Thanks.

ANSWER:

Actually, our Habiturf expert has said that a native grass lawn can be planted in the Summer, with some care. We will link you to all the information we have on Habiturf, including a video on preparing the soil for seeding.

Habiturf with Video

Habiturf - The Ecological Lawn

Research on the Ecological Lawn

We agree, you don't want a bare ground yard, which would quickly become a weedy yard, but you also should avoid planting ryegrass. You will then find yourself mowing and pulling, trying to prevent reseeding in the same lawn for years to come.