Friday - May 11, 2012

From: Little Rock, AR
Topic: Invasive Plants, Propagation, Vines
Title: Need care instructions for Cardiosperma halicacabum in Little Rock, AR>

QUESTION:

I'd like to find out how to cultivate & care for a balloon vine/heart seed vine/love in a puff vine which I found growing wild in my yard (in Little Rock, Arkansas). There seems to be very little information available, as it seems many regard it as a weed. If possible, I would like information on what conditions it prefers, how hardy it is indoor/outdoor, and if it can be propagated from cuttings. Thank you!

ANSWER:

First a word from our sponsor. The mission of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is to increase the sustainable use and conservation of native wildflowers, plants and landscapes.
Balloon Vine is a fast growing vine that is native to Tropical America, and is thus out of  our area of focus. The USDA has placed it on the Arkansas State Noxious Weeds List.

I was able to find 2 sources that describe how to grow the plant.

landscapesolutions

plantsforafuture

In Little Rock, which is in Hardiness Zone 8a, the plant will probably grow as an annual (die back each winter), and re-seed each year. I did not find any specific references to propagating Balloon Vine by cuttings, but this link to North Carolina State University is a good reference for plant propagation in general.