Suppport the plant database you love!

Tuesday - May 01, 2012

From: River Vale, NJ
Topic: Privacy Screening, Shrubs
Title: Need suggestions for privacy hedge in Northern NJ.

QUESTION:

Hi, I'm looking for advice on what plant would make an excellent privacy hedge in Northern NJ (Bergen County). Ideally something low maintenance, about 5 feet tall, would act as a fence. Thanks so much!

ANSWER:

One of our most frequently asked questions has to do with privacy screens, so we should have enough information to help you out.

First, let me show you how to use our Native Plant Database  which contains 7,223 species of native plants. Let's use the combination search which will allow you to explore the database to find the plants suitable for your situation. Start by scrolling down to the Combination Search Box and make the following selections: select New Jersey under State, shrub under Habit, and perennial under Duration. Check sun under Light requirement, and 6-12' under height. Click the Submit Combination Search Button, and you will have a list of 30 plant species that fit those criteria. Clicking on the Scientific name of each plant will bring up its NPIN page that has a description of the plant’s characteristics, growth requirements and in most cases images. By varying the selections, you can get different lists of plants.

Next, I’m going to refer you to  some answers from  previous questions.
These may not fit your situation exactly, but they include some plants that might you might consider for your location.  All ofthe questions are from the Mid-Atlantic Region.

Virginia Beach, VA

Seymour, CT

Arlington, VA