Saturday - August 27, 2011

From: Aguanga, CA
Title: Origin of sticky, smelly substance on dog in Southern California

QUESTION:

I just took my dog out (mid August) in Aguanga, CA (high desert) and, after coming back in, noted that his feet and legs were covered in a very sticky substance that STINKS - there is some kind of plant out there (my property doesn't have anything unnatural on it) that we must have gone through - just wondering what it could have been. I've lived in SoCal all my life, camping, etc., and never come across anything like it. It appears to be water soluble (thank god! He's an Aussie with fairly long hair) but the smell is very noticeable..sort of sweet but not in a good way!

ANSWER:

This sounds like Polanisia dodecandra (Clammyweed); however, the USDA Plants Database distribution map doesn't show this plant growing as far south as Riverside County in California.  That doesn't necessarily mean that the plant doesn't occur there, but it hasn't been reported as growing there.  Here is more information about the plant from:

Illinois Wildflowers

Minnesota Wildflowers

U. S. Forest Service

If you have seen this plant in Riverside County, the Jepson Flora Project would like to know about it.

Other than this plant, I wasn't able to find another native plant that is reported as producing a sticky substance with an odor.

You might contact the Riverside/San Bernadino Chapter of the California Native Plant Society to see if they know any plant that might produce a sticky, smelly substance your dog could have encountered.

Redwhisker clammyweed
Polanisia dodecandra

Redwhisker clammyweed
Polanisia dodecandra