Saturday - February 26, 2011

From: Preston, GA
Title: Plant similar to painted buckeye in Stewart Co., GA

QUESTION:

My neighbor said that she saw a plant in Providence Canyon in Stewart Co, GA that was similar to the painted buckeye, but bloomed later in the summer. Do you know of this plant?

ANSWER:

Aesculus sylvatica (Painted buckeye) is native to Georgia, although this USDA Plant Profile map shows it as growing in northern Georgia and Stewart Co. is in southwestern Georgia, it still could be a Painted Buckeye. Beyond that, we are afraid we couldn't tell you what the plant was that was seen in Stewart Co. Please go to the Mr. Smarty Plants Plant Identification Page to learn how to get more help on this question.

Pictures of Painted Buckeye from Google:

Aesculus sylvatica